Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Bizarre Remedy

Some time ago, I read somewhere on the internet that rubbing Vicks Vaporub on the bottoms of your feet when you go to bed would quiet your cough.

Bizarre, right?

So, a couple of weeks ago, I had a cough that wouldn't quit and got worse at night. One night I decided to try the Vicks remedy. Unfortunately, I also took some prescription cough syrup (not that its ever done any good). As a science teacher, I know to only change one variable at a time, not two.

My coughing disappeared that night.

I had no idea if it was the cough syrup (probably not) or the Vicks.

The next several nights I did only Vicks.

I'd cough for just a few minutes and then it would disappear.

I didn't believe it.

I still don't believe it.

But, it has worked for me.

Maybe it's psychological.

Here's what snopes.com has to say (I always check them out when something sounds too good to be true)

Vicks

If you know me, you know I will try almost any alternative treatment before medical intervention so it shouldn't surprise you that I actually slathered Vicks on my feet in an attempt to quiet my cough. :)

No comments: