Thursday, July 10, 2008

Isn't That Special?

Yesterday was Wednesday and Steven had a test seminar in Dallas. I go with him to drive home so he can sleep since he has to get up early to go to work. When he got home about 2:15, he was in a tizzy. Steven is *never* in a tizzy. He had left his billfold on top of a gas pump at HEB in Conroe. He called, they had it and would hold it for him at customer service. No problem.

We stop at Subway to get something to eat. I give Steven my card to pay and I fill up our drinks. He puts the card back in my billfold and off we go.

I start off driving so Steven can talk to someone at the office in Houston. We stop for a bathroom break in Ennis. Steven drives and I reach in the back to get my glasses out of my purse.

My purse is not there.

We're almost in Dallas. Neither one of us has our driver's license, neither one of us has any cash, neither one of us has a credit card, neither one of us has a debit card. Isn't that a fine kettle of fish?

Luckily, we had plenty of gas, the seminar provides pizza for the people attending and there's always enough left for me to have a piece and I had brought water.

The bad news is that I didn't put any reading glasses in my stitching bag so I can't stitch or read. I don't do well just sitting and doing nothing, especially for 3 hours. I was able to get the book far enough away to read somewhat comfortably so I wasn't too frustrated,

I called Jennifer and she went to Subway and picked up my purse. Yes, I left it sitting on the counter there. Thank goodness it was in Madisonville.

On the way home, Steven called HEB to find out what time they close and open so he could get his billfold. What I didn't know was that he needed to be in Houston at 6:00 this morning. He also had to have his billfold because he had to pick some things up from the Conroe office and his key card for his office was in his billfold. HEB closes at midnight and opens at 6:00. Yep, you guessed it. We're heading to Conroe when we get home at 10:30 (the seminar only lasted 2 hours instead of 3 - thank goodness!!).

But wait!! Becky had a wonderful idea! Since Steven needs to be in Houston at 6:00, why doesn't he just spend the night in Houston. That way he can get his billfold, be in Houston at 6:00 and we don't have to go to Conroe and back in the middle of the night.

That's what we ended up doing and it all worked out. Unbelievably, both our contents were untouched. I'll monitor card usage over the next couple of days to make sure cards weren't used but it doesn't look like they were. We are fortunate and very happy there are still so many honest people in the world.

No comments: