Thursday, July 24, 2008

Memory

My brain makes me crazy.

I know there are over a thousand children's names stored there but don't you think it come come up with a recent name easier than an older name?

The first year I worked at the school, I was the cafeteria clerk. I knew the name of every single student at the elementary school, PK-3 - about 500 names. The next 3 years were pretty easy because I knew all the kids except the new ones when they got to 3rd grade. The 4th year wasn't too bad because lots of them had gone to PK. The year I went back to the school, I was only in 1 classroom and it was Rachael's group so I knew them all already. The next year I was back in 3rd grade and learning ~150-170 new names every year for the next 5 years.

Usually, I remember their faces until they get older and their facial features start changing. Sometimes I can come up with either a first or last name. Sometimes not. Depends on how well I knew them. Sometimes I come up with their name minutes or hours later, just out of the blue.

Luckily, calling them sweetie when they're still young or just speaking to them when they get older works well. They just like to be acknowledged.

So what brought this on?

I was at W-M earlier this week. I saw one of the students in my homeroom cross the end of an aisle. Luckily, she didn't see me because I *could not* come up with her name. I remembered her last name, I remembered her sister's name but hers just wouldn't come. I actually stood in the aisle determined to remember her name in case I saw her again. I'm of the opinion that if that student was in my homeroom less than 2 months ago, I need to say her name when I speak to her. I finally remembered her name but never saw her again so it really didn't matter.

As I was leaving the store, I saw a student who will be in 6th grade next year. His name came to me immediately. Now, he wasn't a troublemaker (you always remember their names!) nor was he anyone that stood out for any other reason, just another student and his name came to me immediately.

There is something wrong with this picture. My brain should work better than that. It doesn't though so I guess I'll continue to muddle through. The good thing is that I only have 60 names to learn every year now and about 20 more if I do after school tutorials.

No comments: